Saturday, October 8, 2011

The Lonely Hearts Club by Elizabeth Eulberg

The Lonely Hearts Club by Elizabeth Eulberg

Released: December 29, 2009
Publisher: Point (Scholastic)
Page Amount: 285, US Paperback
POV: 1st Person (Penny)
Buy it here: Barnes & NobleAmazon

OVERALL:
Plot-20/20
Characters-18/20
Creativity-19/20
Writing-17/20
Pace-9/10
Ending-10/10
=93/100  A
/5





SUMMARY:
Love is all you need...or is it? Penny's about to find out in this wonderful debut. 
Penny is sick of boys and sick of dating. So she vows - no more. It's a personal choice...and, of course, soon everyone wants to know about it. And a few other girls are inspired. A movement is born; The Lonely Hearts Club (named after the band from Sgt. Pepper). Penny is suddenly known for her nondating ways...which is too bad, because there's this certain boy she can't help but like...-Goodreads.com

REViEW:
This book was great. The plot was all about Penny swearing off love and starting an anti-dating club. It was very unique and very interesting. It was a very realistic story, I know that I have wanted to swear of love before. This book was also a fast read and an enjoyable ride. The Beatles are incorporated into this book. Being a huge Beatles fan, the lyrics  included and certain references were very clever. If you're a Beatles fan or an avid YA reader, definitely pick up this book, it's great! :)

The characters very very well done. Every character had a backstory that explained why they were in the The Lonely Hearts Club. I could tell Ms. Eulberg put a lot of thought into her book. I really liked Penny Lane. At times her indecision seemed her be prolonged and became a little bit boring. Oh my gosh... I loved Penny's attitude. She was so strong and I loved the way she stood up to Nate. The relationship with Ryan was very well executed. Ryan is definitely a guy I would want to date. I also liked that there was a large amount of characters in this book. All of them were likable and were people I could relate to me and my friends. 

The ending was so romantic. This book came together at a nice end. I was sad when I finished the book. I would definitely like to reread this book in the future. It actually empowered me. GIRL POWER!   

My Favorite Part: The karaoke scene (oh how I wish something like that would happen to me!) or the part where Penny stands up to Nate (probably one of my favorite quotes ever.)

ALL iN ALL:
Do I recommend this book? Yes, it's such a great book, I loved it.


Thanks for reading! I will have a bunch of more reviews up soon, some scarier Halloeween-ish books will be read and reviewed too!
It's a Book Thing
Review by Macy ♥

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...