Friday, November 25, 2011

The Summoning by Kelley Armstrong

The Summoning by Kelley Armstrong

Released: July 1, 2008 
Publisher: HarperTeen
Series: Darkest Powers Trilogy, Book 1
Followed By: The Awakening
Page Amount: 390, US Paperback
POV: 1st Person (Chloe)
Buy it here: Barnes & NobleAmazon


OVERALL:
Plot-20/20
Characters-19/20
Creativity-19/20
Writing-20/20
Pace-10/10
Ending-9/10
=97/100  A
★/5

  


SUMMARY:

After years of frequent moves following her mother’s death, Chloe Saunders’s life is finally settling down. She is attending art school, pursuing her dreams of becoming a director, making friends, meeting boys. Her biggest concern is that she’s not developing as fast as her friends are. But when puberty does hit, it brings more than hormone surges. Chloe starts seeing ghosts–everywhere, demanding her attention. After she suffers a breakdown, her devoted aunt Lauren gets her into a highly recommended group home. 
At first, Lyle House seems a pretty okay place, except for Chloe’s small problem of fearing she might be facing a lifetime of mental illness. But as she gradually gets to know the other kids at the home–charming Simon and his ominous, unsmiling brother Derek, obnoxious Tori, and Rae, who has a “thing” for fire–Chloe begins to realize that there is something that binds them all together, and it isn’t your usual “problem kid” behaviour. And together they discover that Lyle House is not your usual group home either…-Goodreads.com

REViEW:
Whoa... this book was a wild ride. Warning: when beginning to read this book, prepare not to stop, because it is that addicting. I honestly could not put this book down. When I started this book I thought that it would be a sappy, cliche read about a girl who sees ghosts. This book was so much more. I normally need romance in the books I read in order for me to be interested, but this book was so brilliantly done, I would not change a thing. There is enough tension between Chloe and Simon and Derek to suffice for romance. Sure there isn't in your face romance, but this book did not need it. There is some very well written action in this book that I absolutely loved. I normally do not like action in books, but this was executed so well, it blew me away. This book read like a movie and I could not put it down. The plot was unique and this book was overall a great read. 


The characters were excellent as well. There was a good amount of characters and each of the m had a story. Some of the other characters stories weren't fully explained, but I'm sure in the next two installments their backgrounds will be established. Chloe was the ideal protagonist. She wasn't perfect, she had faults, but it made her real. She was strong and a great leading female. She's certainly someone I want as a friend. I also liked Rae and Liz, even Tori at times. They all had distinct personalities. Simon and Derek... Wow... They added a lot to this story. Simon was really interesting and I loved his personality. Derek was mystery boy... Hehe I loved him. I wanted to get to know him and to better understand him alongside Chloe. His personality was realistic and I enjoyed getting to know him. He added some humor as well as tension with Chloe that was very enjoyable.


The tension at the end had my adrenaline running. I did not expect that ending and it made me want to rush out and buy the sequel (which I actually tried to, but my bookstore didn't have it). The ending was very exciting, my heart was literally racing alongside Chloe's. It takes an amazing writer to make the reader feel such strong emotions. As you can see, I thoroughly enjoyed this book. I look forward to reading many more books by Ms. Armstrong.

My Favorite Part: The action. This was such a fast paced book and the action was so well written I could picture everything happening. This book read like an action movie.

ALL iN ALL:
Do I recommend this book? Absolutely! It's so great and I hear the series just gets better from here (if that is even possible!)

Will I be reading the next book? Of course! I already tried to buy it the day I finished The Summoning! II'm going to track down the next book soon, I'm sure of it!

Thank you for reading! I love having so many followers and viewers, it's a great feeling that you liked my blog enough to follow it. 

It's a Book Thing
Review by Macy ♥

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...