Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Miracle by Elizabeth Scott

Miracle by Elizabeth Scott
MiracleReleased: June 5, 2012
Publisher: Simon Pulse
Page Amount: 224, US Hardback
POV: 1st Person (Megan)
Buy it here: Barnes & NobleAmazon


OVERALL:
Plot-18/20
Characters-19/20
Creativity-19/20
Writing-18/20
Pace-8/10
Ending-9/10
=91/100 A
/5





SUMMARY:
Megan is a miracle. At least, that’s what everyone says. Having survived a plane crash that killed everyone else on board, Megan knows she should be grateful just to be alive. But the truth is, she doesn’t feel like a miracle. In fact, she doesn’t feel anything at all. Then memories from the crash start coming back. Scared and alone, Megan doesn’t know whom to turn to. Her entire community seems unable—or maybe unwilling—to see her as anything but Miracle Megan. Everyone except for Joe, the beautiful boy next door with a tragic past and secrets of his own. All Megan wants is for her life to get back to normal, but the harder she tries to live up to everyone’s expectations, the worse she feels. And this time, she may be falling too fast to be saved..-Goodreads.com


REViEW:
This book is not for the faint of heart. Its plot is based on a devastating event and circles around the repercussions it causes Megan. By the end of this book I was wondering what kind of twisted person could write a book as depressing as this, but then I kept thinking about the book. I couldn't even help it, the book was literally engraved in my brain. This is one of the few books that has actually made me feel uncomfortable. Probably because of its stark reality of the fragility of life and death's effects. It's a book that really makes the reader think. Most people would hate a book if it made them uncomfortable, but not me. I am in love with this book because of how it made me feel. I cannot get this book out of my mind because of how honest it was. 

I can understand why some people would have an issue with these characters. Megan isn't the typical protagonist. She's not happy, she doesn't feel emotion. A lot of readers may see this as just a monotone narrator who doesn't care about anyone, but I think I saw Megan the way Ms. Scott imagined her. I grasped Megan's voice the whole way through the book because my recent loss of a best friend caused me to lose feeling emotions, just like Megan. I could relate to Megan because I understood how she couldn't help not caring about anything. She just wanted to be left alone. Don't we all want that sometimes? I absolutely loved Megan throughout this book and totally agreed with all of her beliefs and feelings about life and family. Her parents were very protective, but it made sense for them to be. I would have rebelled just like Megan against their bubble.

The ending was not happy like I suspected. Sure it showed a big improvement of Megan's sanity, but I was still not completely happy with the ending. It's probably just because I'm used to all those happily ever afters. This ending was so beautiful probably because of how different it was and how closely it resembles real life. Too often in life are we disappointed and depressed. I applaud Ms. Scott by being unique and not writing a replication of the "perfect teenage breezy romance." This book will remain in my head for a long time because of it's exceptionally heartbreakingly beautiful lesson on life.  

My Favorite Part: How the story stays with you and how amazingly uncomfortable it made me.

ALL iN ALL:
Do I recommend this book? Yes if you are tough enough to deal with the feelings.
Will I be reading more of Ms. Scott's books? To be honest, I am scared to death to. But I HAVE to ;)

Thanks for reading! 


It's a Book Thing
Review by Macy ♥

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...