Tuesday, June 28, 2011

The Maze Runner by James Dashner

The Maze Runner by James Dashner
Released: August 24, 2010
Publisher: Delacorte Books for Young Readers
Series: Maze Runner Trilogy, Book 1
Followed By: The Scorch Trials
Page Amount: 375, US Paperback
POV: 3rd Person 
Buy The Maze Runner here: BordersBarnes & NobleAmazon

OVERALL:
Plot-16/20
Characters-16/20
Creativity-17/20
Writing-16/20
Pace-6/10
Ending-6/10
=77/100  C
/5

SUMMARY:
Imagine waking up one day in total darkness, unsure of where you are and unable to remember anything about yourself except your first name. You're in a bizarre place devoid of adults called the Glade. The Glade is an enclosed structure with a jail, a graveyard, a slaughterhouse, living quarters, and gardens. And no way out. Outside the Glade is the Maze, and every day some of the kids -- the Runners -- venture into the labyrinth, trying to map the ever-changing pattern of walls in an attempt to find an exit from this hellish place. So far, no one has figured it out. And not all of the Runners return from their daily exertions, victims of the maniacal Grievers, part animal, part mechanical killing machines.Thomas is the newest arrival to the Glade in this Truman-meets-Lord of the Flies tale. A motley crew of half a dozen kids is all he has to guide him in this strange world. As soon as he arrives, unusual things begin to happen, and the others grow suspicious of him. Though the Maze seems somehow familiar to Thomas, he's unable to make sense of the place, despite his extraordinary abilities as a Runner. What is this place, and does Thomas hold the key to finding a way out?-Goodreads.com

CONDENSED REViEW:
I'm not going to lie, I thought this book was kind of messed up. It was violent and I found myself wondering why Dashner would want to torture his characters so much. This book was good and very well developed but wasn't particularly my taste.


REViEW:
Ok. This book was not really my style. The plot was something new and really well described, but was gruesome. I'm so used to reading books by a female author where most everything is happy go lucky, so this a change for me. There were a lot of nasty obstacles. The book also seemed a little slow to me at the beginning but sped up towards the end. 



The characters were okay. They were detailed enough to make them feel real. I really got attached to many of the characters and because of that I was hurt. I can't say much more because I don't want to give anything away.


The ending was good but disturbing. I really liked the characters and I hated how they were treated. I think that the sequel will explain things more clearly and make the story seem not as messed up.


My Favorite Part: The characters, especially Chuck. I absolutely fell in love with him. He was so lovable and just amazing. He made this book great!

ALL iN ALL:
Do I recommend this book? Yes, I wasn't my style but it might be yours.
Is this book violent? Yes, there was violence but it wasn't that detailed. Some obstacles were described very grotesquely.
Will I be reading the next book? Yes, I think I might just because I think I might better understand this book.


Thank you all for reading! I love comments, so comment! If you read The Maze Runner tell me what you thought!



It's a Book Thing
Review by Macy ♥

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...