Friday, September 9, 2011

Lock and Key by Sarah Dessen

Lock and Key by Sarah Dessen

Released: May 14, 2009
Publisher: Speak (Penguin Group)
Page Amount: 223, US Paperback
POV:1st Person (Ruby)
Buy it here: Barnes & NobleAmazon

OVERALL:
Plot-20/20
Characters-19/20
Creativity-20/20
Writing-18/20
Pace-9/10
Ending-9/10
=95/100  A
★/5






SUMMARY:
“Ruby, where is your mother?”
Ruby knows that the game is up. For the past few months, she’s been on her own in the yellow house, managing somehow, knowing that her mother will probably never return.
That’s how she comes to live with Cora, the sister she hasn’t seen in ten years, and Cora’s husband Jamie, whose down-to-earth demeanor makes it hard for Ruby to believe he founded the most popular networking Web site around. A luxurious house, fancy private school, a new wardrobe, the promise of college and a future—it’s a dream come true. So why is Ruby such a reluctant Cinderella, wary and defensive? And why is Nate, the genial boy next door with some secrets of his own, unable to accept the help that Ruby is just learning to give?
Best-selling author Sarah Dessen explores the heart of a gutsy, complex girl dealing with unforeseen circumstances and learning to trust again. -Goodreads.com

REViEW:
The plot was very fresh and unique. I enjoyed how much family played a role in this book. I felt that this book was well written and had a lot of depth to it. I'm not going to lie, this book is very long, but I can honestly say that I enjoyed every minute of it. Once you get into the plot and are absorbed by Ruby's world, you cannot stop reading. This is now my favorite book by Sarah Dessen because the entire book was beautifully written.

This book had a lot more of the amazing Dessen characters. Every character had a distinct personality and attitude towards family and life. The main character, Ruby, although faced with many difficult situations, was still very relatable. I love how her experiences are so different from mine yet I still have a connection to her. She had a difficult time adjusting to her new life and had to make some huge decisions. I loved how she started out hating her new environment and that I was able to see Ruby grow up and learn to love it. I also liked Nate. He's the perfect neighbor. I really enjoyed watching him grow through his struggles. Nate reminded me that everyone has struggles, even if they act like they don't. He was very realistic because through everything he went through he still put on a smile and acted as if everything was perfect. 

The ending was very simple and beautiful. It really touched my heart. I was really sad when this book ended because I went on this amazing journey with Ruby and Nate and it made me sad to see it end.

My Favorite Part: The theme of this novel, family. It was fresh and very heartwarming. It made me think about my family and what family even means. 

ALL iN ALL:
Do I recommend this book? Yes, it's super good. 

Thank you for reading! I would love to hear your comments on the book or any comments in general! Here's a random question that you can answer in the comments, if you have read any Dessen books, let me know who is your favorite love interest. Right now I think mine is Dexter from This Lullaby.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...