Thursday, October 20, 2011

Shiver by Maggie Stiefvater


Shiver by Maggie Stiefvater



Released: August 1, 2009
Publisher: Scholastic Inc.
Series: The Wolves of Mercy Falls, Book 1
Followed By: Linger
Page Amount: 290, US Hardback
POV: 1st Person (Alternating Grace & Sam)
Buy it here: Barnes & NobleAmazon



OVERALL:
Plot-20/20
Characters-18/20
Creativity-19/20
Writing-20/20
Pace-9/10
Ending-10/10
=96/100  A
★/5

  


SUMMARY:

Grace and Sam share a kinship so close they could be lovers or siblings. But they also share a problem. When the temperature slips towards freezing, Sam reverts to his wolf identity and must retreat into the woods to protect his pack. He worries that eventually his human side will fade away and he will be left howling alone at the lonely moon. A stirring supernatural teen romance.-Goodreads.com

REViEW:
Ahh I loved this book. I was a little bit apprehensive to start this book. I tryed to read it awhile ago and thought it was so slow and boring. After reading a lot more YA, I realize how beautifully written this book was. The writing is lyrical and really amazing. Ms. Stiefvater's writing is slow, but not boring slow. Her style is just very slow. I did enjoy every minute of it, it's just not the kind of book that is easy to read in one day. The plot was well thought out. It wasn't the typical wolf plot. I liked how she incorporated the changing of wolves into man in warmth. I thought that played very well into this book. 


The characters were really believable. I loved Sam. I just didn't think there was much depth about Sam and Grace falling in love. It was just like girl meets boy and automatically start kissing. There was no development of their relationship. I didn't really get to see them fall in love, which I would've liked. The alternate point of views were enjoyable, I liked being able to get inside Sam's head. Some times Sam said things that were the kind of things that Grace would've said. I like it when one author can bring together two distinct voices and make them completely different. At the beginning of the book, I thought that Grace was a sweet, innocent, loner girl, but later on her personality rapidly changed. I don't know if I missed something, but she seemed to be a little bit trampy when Sam came into the picture. It was unexpected. Other than those few things, I loved the characters. 


The ending was so beautiful. It really touched my heart. I'm rooting for Sam and Grace's relationship, and can not wait to get my hands on the next book. The ending was pretty simple, but really cute. It actually surprised me a little bit.  


My Favorite Part: Sam and Grace's relationship, no question about it. It was so romantic, and I can't help wishing that Sam was my boyfriend.

ALL iN ALL:
Do I recommend this book? Absolutely. It's really really good!

Will I be reading the next book? Yes! I plan to buy it very soon!

Thanks for reading and for the comments I have been receiving and for following me. I really appreciate it all. I've been pretty busy with school, but I plan to read more soon and make my YouTube channel.  

It's a Book Thing
Review by Macy ♥

2 comments:

  1. The Wolves of Mercy Falls is one of my favorite series of all time. If you love Maggie's writing style, you should get her new standalone novel, The Scorpio Races! i loved that one so, so much. it's brilliant.

    i'm glad you liked Shiver the second time of reading it! i don't think a lot of people understand how important the achingly slow pace is.

    great review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. oohoh i loved this series!! :D
    new follower :)
    wanna follow me back??
    http://penelopeworldofbooks.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...