Sunday, July 7, 2013

Neferet's Curse by P. C. Cast & Kristin Cast




Neferet's Curse by P. C. Cast & Kristin Cast
Neferet's Curse (House of Night Novellas, #3)Released: February 19, 2013
Publisher: St. Martin's Griffin
Series: House of Night Novellas, Book 3
Preceded By: Lenobia's Vow
Followed By: TBA (About Kalona)
Page Amount: 146, US Hardback
POV: 1st Person (Emily aka Neferet)
Buy it here: Barnes & NobleAmazon


OVERALL:
Plot-16/20
Characters-18/20
Creativity-18/20
Writing-18/20
Pace-7/10
Ending-6/10
=83/100 B
/5


SUMMARY:
The White City, 1893: In turn-of-the-century Chicago, with the World’s Fair bringing bustle and excitement to her home city, sixteen-year-old Emily Wheiler should be reveling in her youthful beauty and the excitement around her. But her whole life changed when her mother died, leaving her to be the Lady of Wheiler House. Her father, a powerful bank president, is at the center of an important social hub for the booming young city, and he needs Emily to do everything her mother would have – to be a good hostess and make sure the mansion runs smoothly. As Emily uneasily tries to replace her mother, she also longs for more… for love and a life of her own. When a handsome young man notices her at one of her father’s parties, it seems that her hopes may finally be coming true. Until her father forbids her to see him – or any other man – and starts revealing a darkly violent side that even he can’t understand. At last, afraid for her life and with nowhere to turn, Emily is Marked by a vampyre and brought to the Chicago House of Night, where she begins a magickal new life that should allow the wounds from her past to heal. But as she gains strength, and a powerful new name, she carries a dark need to wreak vengeance on the man she trusted most.-Goodreads.com

REViEW:
I have loved every other House of Night novella as well as the series but I don't think I can say I loved this book. It was a good book but it didn't blow me away like some of her other books have. This book didn't really have a plot to it. It was written in journal entries, but they just seemed disjointed and leading nowhere. I actually skipped over a bunch of parts, which I rarely ever do, because it couldn't hold my interest. The whole book consisted of Emily's father's "burning gaze" and what dress she would wear to next social event. It became kind of repetitive to me because of this. The book only started to speed up when the ending and the action regarding her father happened.   

The characters were enjoyable in this book. Emily was an interesting character but I still don't know why she thought she was going mad. I mean I get that she was going through terrible things, but she seemed pretty fine to me. I think her dad is the one with the issues. I liked how her dad seemed to progress from drunk to incredibly insane. It kind of showed the progression of his insanity. Honestly, after this book I give Emily/Neferet some credit. Not much, but some.

The ending was one of the best parts but it made me a little angry. I felt pity for Emily and really wish she could have just ran off with Arthur. I felt really bad when she got raped by her father, but I knew it was coming. I hate to say it, but if it had happened sooner in the book I probably would have enjoyed this book more. Anyways, I wish there was more of a focus on why and how she was marked and wish that this book had more of a backbone to it.

My Favorite Part: Towards the very end when Emily actually had proof of her father's madness.


ALL iN ALL:
Do I recommend this book? Yes, it's an interesting backstory for House of Night's most malicious villain.
Will I be reading the next book? I would love to know more about Kalona's background. 

Thanks for reading! Please follow me on Twitter and Facebook! (Go to Contact Me page for more details!)

It's a Book Thing
Review by Macy ♥

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...