Thursday, March 16, 2017

Illusion by Nadette Rae Rodgers

Illusion
by Nadette Rae Rodgers
Buy it here: Barnes & NobleAmazon
/5

SUMMARY:
Everybody dreams, everyone has nightmares...but no one dreams quite like Addison Smith. Addison has always had unusual dreams. However, the crazy factor has risen to a whole new level. Still, she doesn't realize just how unique she is. But one day, Addison wakes up covered in bruises with blood on her pillow, and she realizes that maybe her dreams aren't so normal after all. Someone or something is causing all of this, but she doesn't know who and she doesn't know why. Suddenly the guy of her dreams (literally) becomes the new kid at school and turns her world upside down. Before she knows it, the line between reality and her dream world blurs. What is real? What is just an illusion? Goodreads.com

REVIEW:
I'm not going to lie, I am a book snob, which causes me to rarely give self-published books a chance. However, as soon as I heard the synopsis of Illusion, I knew I had to read it, and I am so glad that I did. I am excited to say that after reading hundreds of young adult books, Rodgers managed to create a fresh and unique story. Throughout the book, the main character, Addison, experiences terrifying dreams that definitely got my adrenaline pumping. I loved having to discern whether these experiences were a dream or a reality alongside Addison, even though Rodgers masterfully provides the reader with clues in the sentence structure. That being said, the writing of this book is incredible, especially for such a young author. I can honestly say that there wasn't a dull chapter because of the continual heightened sense of intrigue and vivid, lifelike characters. 

The characters portrayed in this novel are incredible. Addison is a relatable and enjoyable main character while Zach is mysterious and brooding. Additionally, I love how well the side characters were developed. Instead of just dropping her best friends like most young adult protagonists do the instant they are paired with a boyfriend, Addison continues spending time with her circle of friends. More specifically, I absolutely adore Addison's relationship with her best friend Cammie and how realistically the friendship is portrayed. Additionally, this book also emphasizes familial relationships in a positive light, which is also unique for young adult novels. Addison's parents are active throughout the novel and even play a significant role in the plot. It was truly special being able to see the mother-daughter bond illuminated in this book.

Ultimately, this book is a wild ride and transcends genres because of its continual shift from a fairly typical high school experience to a life threatening chase in a dream. As a result, this book is unputdownable because of the well-crafted, imaginative tale that Rodgers has created. I highly recommend this book and cannot wait to see how Addison's story continues in the next book!


My Favorite Part: The suspense!

ALL IN ALL:
Do I recommend this book? Definitely! 

Will I be reading the next book? Yes, I want it now!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...