Sunday, August 4, 2013

Burn for Burn by Jenny Han & Siobhan Vivian

Burn for Burn by Jenny Han & Siobhan Vivian 
Burn for Burn (Burn for Burn, #1)Released: September 18, 2012
Publisher: Simon and Schuster
Series: Burn for Burn, Book 1

Followed By: Fire with Fire
Page Amount: 358, US Hardback
POV: 1st Person (Mary, Kat or Lillia)
Buy it here: Barnes & NobleAmazon


OVERALL:
Plot-19/20
Characters-19/20
Creativity-19/20
Writing-20/20
Pace-10/10
Ending-7/10
=94/100 A
/5




SUMMARY:
BIG GIRLS DON'T CRY...THEY GET EVEN. Lillia has never had any problems dealing with boys who like her. Not until this summer, when one went too far. No way will she let the same thing happen to her little sister. Kat is tired of the rumours, the insults, the cruel jokes. It all goes back to one person– her ex-best friend– and she's ready to make her pay. Four years ago, Mary left Jar Island because of a boy. But she's not the same girl anymore. And she's ready to prove it to him. Three very different girls who want the same thing: sweet, sweet revenge. And they won't stop until they each had a taste.-Goodreads.com


REViEW:
I read this book in January, it was the first book that I read this year and I can still remember it as if I finished it yesterday. The basis of the plot was Lillia, Kat, and Mary planning to get revenge on each of the people that ruined their lives, but there's a lot more depth to tit then that. I've never read a book about revenge before so this premise was very unique to me. Sure, not everyone goes to extreme measures to get even, but that didn't make this book any less relatable. I was able to bond with most of the characters, including the main girls as well as the popular people. This book was a fast and easy read because Lillia, Kat and Mary's world captivated me and I felt as if I was part of the story. This book is told from alternating perspectives of the three girls, but it was not confusing at all. It added so much more to Jar Island and really engulfed me in each of their lives. Revenge might not be the right thing to do, but these targets have it coming to them.  

The characters were really interesting. I started out not really liking Lillia, but as the book progressed, I started to get an understanding of all she had to undergo and felt some sympathy about what happened at the party. Mary also had a very sad backstory, but I feel like that wasn't a very very strong reason for leaving town. I loved Kat's character and liked how she pulled all of the girls together. I think their secret friendship really made this book thrilling in a way. Rennie, the popular girl, friend of Lillia, and ex-best friend of Kat, was just that, a popular, snobby girl. I did really like to see the struggle of Lillia backstabbing Rennie, I cannot imagine how hard that'd be. Reeve is ridiculous, I can't believe what he did to Mary, but he's basically just an immature teenage boy. I developed a small crush on Alex, the other main guy, because of how good of a friend he was for Kat and Lillia at the beginning. Now he's even making me suspicious.   

The ending contained the one thing that made me a little unsure about the rest of the trilogy. The ending was pretty great with all that action, but there was that one twist that kind of upset me. The reason why I loved this book so much was the realness of it and that it was contemporary fiction, but then that paranormal twist came. I'm not sure how I feel about it, but I trust Han and Vivian to make it as realistic as possible. All in all, I loved this book. It was the first book I read this year and as of now it is still the best!

My Favorite Part: I loved the revenge! It was so unique and absolutely intriguing!

ALL iN ALL:
Do I recommend this book? Absolutely!
Will I be reading the next book? I'm reading the ARC now! :D Expect a review soon!

Thanks for reading! Be sure to follow my blog with Bloglovin! You can do this by clicking the link at the top of right sidebar! 


It's a Book Thing
Review by Macy ♥

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...