Saturday, August 17, 2013

Something Strange and Deadly by Susan Dennard

Something Strange and Deadly by Susan Dennard 
Something Strange and Deadly (Something Strange and Deadly, #1)Released: July 24, 2012
Publisher: HarperTeen
Series: Something Strange and Deadly, Book 1

Followed By: A Darkness Strange and Lovely
Page Amount: 388, US Hardback
POV: 1st Person (Eleanor)
Buy it here: Barnes & NobleAmazon


OVERALL:
Plot-18/20
Characters-16/20
Creativity-18/20
Writing-16/20
Pace-7/10
Ending-8/10
=83/100 B
/5




SUMMARY:
The year is 1876, and there’s something strange and deadly loose in Philadelphia, Eleanor Fitt has a lot to worry about. Her brother has gone missing, her family has fallen on hard times, and her mother is determined to marry her off to any rich young man who walks by. But this is nothing compared to what she’s just read in the newspaper—The Dead are rising in Philadelphia. And then, in a frightening attack, a zombie delivers a letter to Eleanor…from her brother. Whoever is controlling the Dead army has taken her brother as well. If Eleanor is going to find him, she’ll have to venture into the lab of the notorious Spirit-Hunters, who protect the city from supernatural forces. But as Eleanor spends more time with the Spirit-Hunters, including their maddeningly stubborn yet handsome inventor, Daniel, the situation becomes dire. And now, not only is her reputation on the line, but her very life may hang in the balance.-Goodreads.com


REViEW:
Meeting Susan Dennard was great, but meeting her 3 times? That was positively epic! Dennard is an amazing person with such a fun and upbeat personality. That was what initially drew me to Something Strange and Deadly. When I first started reading it, I couldn't really get into the time era. Because of my hatred to history and everything historical, it was hard for me to fall in love with this book at first. At about the halfway mark though I really got into the story. I couldn't get enough of the story or the characters from that point on. Once I got used to the historical setting of the story, I really enjoyed the premise. The action scenes were pulsating and very well written. I loved the twists involving the Dead and the Spirit-Hunters and how they related to her family and her missing brother. The little pieces of mysteries really kept this book moving.  

The characters were interesting. Eleanor grew a lot throughout the book and became much stronger. In a time where the culture was very much about class, Eleanor really stood up to that and wanted to be involved. I loved that. I really didn't get the whole Daniel/Eleanor relationship though. I felt like I missed all of that. I do love Daniel a lot more after reading the last half of the book. All of the characters had so many connections with other ones it was like a puzzle trying to get the full story for each of these characters.

The ending was pretty crazy. So much action and a lot of twists. I hated the last chapter when the Spirit-Hunters had to go, but it was beautiful. I love Eleanor and I know that she won't let them get away that easily! All in all, I am excited to pick up the next book. I think that it will be even more amazing than this installment.

My Favorite Part: How Eleanor became so strong throughout the book.

ALL iN ALL:
Do I recommend this book? Yes, it's a very intriguing zombie read.
Will I be reading the next book? I think I may have to!

Thanks for reading!


It's a Book Thing
Review by Macy ♥

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...