Wednesday, October 2, 2013

The Enchanter Heir by Cinda Williams Chima

The Enchanter Heir by Cinda Williams Chima  The Enchanter Heir (The Heir Chronicles, #4) 
The Heir Chronicles: Book 4
Story- 10/10
Characters- 10/10
Style- 9/10
Overall- 9.5/10

   The Enchanter Heir. I first started reading Cinda’s books in 8th grade, and I was NOT an avid reader. But after reading only one of her novels, I quickly found a love for spending entire days immersed in books, which mostly tended to be hers. Her fluent, elegant stringing of words is a joy to the mind and creates some of the most vivid stories there are to read. The Enchanter Heir is a perfect showcase of her talents, bringing even more lucidity and emotion to her tales. The Enchanter Heir is an add-on to the previous three Heir novels, but is independent from them, and does not require one to read them in order to follow along (although I would personally recommend it, if not for the sole reason of reading more of her work. I cannot promote her enough).  Since the book has not been released yet, and I was fortunate to receive an advanced copy, I will now share my thoughts on the book, without giving away too many spoilers. That will be hard.

   This story is told by the perspective of Jonah Kinlock, a magical mutant whose powers set him above the rest of the magical world, with a Weirstone (a magical source of power that lies next to the heart) that is undeclared (although it is shown to hold most of the powers an enchanter stone would hold). He is a survivor of the Thorn Hill Massacre, where it was rumored to hold sorcerers that were experimenting with dangerous poisons. The massacre gave anyone who lived strange powers that are highly variable. Jonah received devastating abilities from it that he uses to fight Shades, the living-dead who were once Thorn Hill residents. Everyone who lived there before the massacre is subject to turn into a Shade, and the thought of that haunts him as he is sent to kill them in order to protect others.

   The perspective is also shared by Emma Greenwood, a sorcerer who grew up knowing little about magic. Her grandfather, Sonny Lee Greenwood, is an accomplished luthier who raised her to love music. But after he is found barely alive with a warning note in his hand, Emma runs away from the life she knows to a family member she’s never met before. And to make matters worse, she learns of her special powers as a sorcerer, and her family’s involvement with the Thorn Hill Massacre.

   First of all, if you are any kind of musician, or have a love for music, you will immediately fall in love with this book. While it is mainly about wizards, sorcerers, and enchanters, Cinda employs numerous different musical aspects that are dynamically pleasing to the senses.  I loved it. It went well with the story, and added a new dimension to her writing. As for the rest of the story, it was emotionally packed and very intense at times. She was very able to have action coincide with the telling of the story, and the romance between characters. Overall, I am very happy that all my expectations for the book held true. I only have one issue with it, and I would have thought I’d be familiar with its bitter taste due to her other books (especially the Seven Realms Series), is the ending. I am not saying that it was bad, but I am not a fan of its setup. If you have read her Seven Realms Series, you probably already know what I am talking about. I will not say exactly what that is though, because I do not want to ruin it for anyone. But even with the ending, I still say that it was one of the most thrilling novels I have read and highly recommend getting a copy the second you can!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...