Sunday, June 10, 2012

Clean by Amy Reed


Clean by Amy Reed

Released: July 19, 2011
Publisher: Simon Pulse 
Page Amount: 304, US Paperback
POV: 1st Person (alternating Kelly and Christopher)
Buy it here: Barnes & NobleAmazon


OVERALL:
Plot-17/20
Characters-17/20
Creativity-18/20
Writing-16/20
Pace-9/10
Ending-8/10
=85/100  B
/5



SUMMARY:
You’re probably wondering how I ended up here. I’m still wondering the same thing.
Olivia, Kelly, Christopher, Jason, and Eva have one thing in common: They’re addicts. Addicts who have hit rock bottom and been stuck together in rehab to face their problems, face sobriety, and face themselves. None of them wants to be there. None of them wants to confront the truths about their pasts. And they certainly don’t want to share their darkest secrets and most desperate fears with a room of strangers. But they’ll all have to deal with themselves—and one another—if they want to learn how to live. Because when you get that high, there’s nowhere to go but down, down, down.-Goodreads.com

REViEW:
This was a pretty intriguing read. I loved how Ms. Reed wrote in honest, unique voices for each of the characters. Her writing portrayed each of their frame of minds. Because of this the writing was sometimes a bit choppy, but it suited this book perfectly. One of my favorite parts of this book was how tough concepts were written. The danger of drugs and how important help is were focal points. This is a great book to show teens that there is hope and that they aren't alone. The whole key is getting help.           

Like most teens would, the characters in this book resisted treatment and didn't know why they needed to be in rehab. As the book went on, I was able to get a peak into each individual's thoughts and their past experiences. Personally, I think that all of the kids in this book were good kids. They just had some bad backgrounds. Although I am a ton different then these characters, they were still relatable. Kelly came from a good home, but she still needed guidance. Christopher was so over-protected that his mother resisted anything being wrong with him. These characters, along with the rest, all added that spark of creativity that really got the pace moving.


The ending was hopeful. I liked it. I felt really bad for Olivia, but I'm glad she's finally on the road for recovery. All the characters really needed one another and they all touched each others' lives in incredible ways. I wish I could read more about these teens and their overcoming of a huge obstacle. This novel was certainly an inspiration to me. I hope it is the same for you.    

My Favorite Part: The plot and how Reed approached such difficult subjects.

ALL iN ALL:
Do I recommend this book? Yes, it's a good book to read.

It's a Book Thing
Review by Macy ♥

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...